Topaz comprises of team members with wealth of experience and expertise in areas of corporate finance, business turnaround, debt restructuring, loan/real estate investment and asset finance.
- Kiyoto MatsudaChairman
- Prior to founding Topaz, Mr. Matsuda was a Partner of Unison Capital Inc., a Japanese private equity firm. Mr. Matsuda started his career at The Industrial Bank of Japan, where he worked in the Business Planning and Corporate Banking departments. From 2002, he was appointed Executive Officer, then Managing Executive Officer at Mizuho Corporate Bank. In 2007, he became Deputy President of Mizuho Securities. Mr. Matsuda holds a B.A. in Economics from Keio University.
- Ken NiimuraPresident & CEO
- Prior to founding Topaz, Mr. Niimura was Managing Director of Merrill Lynch Japan where he held various senior roles, including Head of Debt Capital Markets and Head of Restructuring Group. Prior to joining Merrill Lynch in 2000, Mr. Niimura was Head of Structured Finance of The Industrial Bank of Japan where he was responsible for originating and structuring securitization products. Mr. Niimura holds an M.B.A. from Cornell University and a B.A. in Law from Waseda University.
- Makio YamadaHead of Investor Relations, Executive Director
- Prior to founding Topaz, Mr. Yamada was Head of Global Credit Sales of Mizuho Securities, where he was responsible for providing Japanese institutional investors opportunities in global credit products and oversaw the firm’s global credit business. Mr. Yamada started his career at The Industrial Bank of Japan where he held various key roles such as head of bond dealings and corporate client coverage. Mr. Yamada is a member of CMA and holds a B.A. in Commerce from Hitotsubashi University.
- Takashi NakazonoHead of Investments, Executive Director
- Prior to founding Topaz, Mr. Nakazono was Director of Acquisition Division of Goldman Sachs Realty Japan where he was responsible for acquisition and pricing. Mr. Nakazono executed number of notable acquisitions in corporate debt, real estate and distressed assets. Before joining Goldman Sachs in 2001, Mr. Nakazono started his career at Sumitomo Trust & Banking. Mr. Nakazono is a Certified Real Estate Appraiser and holds a B.A. in Law from Kyoto University.
- Koji ShigemitsuExecutive Director
- Prior to founding Topaz, Mr. Shigemitsu was Director of Unison Capital Inc. with 10 years of investment experience in Japan. Prior to Unison Capital, he was engaged in principal investment in debt and real estate at Goldman Sachs Japan. Mr. Shigemitsu started his career at McKinsey and Company, Inc. Japan. Mr. Shigemitsu holds a Masters’ Degree from the School of Engineering at University of Tokyo and a Bachelor of Science in Engineering from University of Tokyo. Investment Committee member.
- Naoyoshi MaruyamaManaging Director
- Mr. Maruyama joined Topaz in August 2020. Prior to joining Topaz, he was a vice president at Goldman Sachs and engaged in distressed loan servicing, project finance and real estate finance as a team leader. He started his career at Daiwa house industry. He moved to LaSalle Investment Management in 2005 and was involved in asset management for logistics facilities, commercial facilities and office buildings. Mr. Maruyama holds a B.S from the University of Tohoku.
- Yoshiyuki SakaneManaging Director, Investor Relations
- Mr. Sakane joined Topaz in September 2020. Prior to joining Topaz, he spent 13 years at PIMCO Japan Ltd. where he covered various institutional investors for their asset management. He started his career at at The Industrial Bank of Japan as a portfolio manager in foreign bond investments and then moved to BNP Paribas Japan where he covered financial institutions as clients. Mr. Sakane holds a B.A. Political Science from Waseda University and is a member of CMA.
- Shinjiro KotakiManaging Director
- Mr. Kotaki joined Topaz in May 2017. Before joining Topaz, he was at the Investment Banking Division of SMBC Nikko Securities and provided IB services to financial institutions. Prior to joining SMBC Nikko in 2015, he worked for Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation and engaged in SME financing. Mr. Kotaki is a member of CMA and holds a B.A. in Literature from The University of Tokyo.
- Nobuyoshi IguchiDirector
- Mr. Iguchi joined Topaz in February 2017 and is mainly responsible for deal sourcing and credit analysis of loan customers. He was the Chief Investment Manager and the Head of Corporate Investment Group of Hudson Japan, an exclusive advisor to Lone Star Funds, and was in charge of analyzing and pricing the assets Lone Star acquired in Japan. Prior to joining Hudson Japan in 2000, he had a 11+ years career at The Industrial Bank of Japan and played key roles in corporate credit analysis, structured finance and project finance. Mr. Iguchi holds B.A. in Civil Engineering from The University of Tokyo.
- Hideaki IchinoseDirector
- Mr. Ichinose joined Topaz in October 2020. Prior to joining Topaz, he was a Managing Director of Merrill Lynch where he was responsible for originating and structuring non-traditional solutions for Japanese clients, in areas of structured finance, asset finance, and credit asset sales. During the 16 years with Merrill Lynch, he also helped Bank of America Tokyo to build its corporate and commercial banking business with Japanese clients. Prior to joining Merrill Lynch, he was a VP at Bankers Trust Tokyo Branch where he gained cross-border structured finance experiences. Mr. Ichinose started his career at Chuo Trust & Banking (now Mitsui Sumitomo Trust & Banking) where he engaged in corporate lending and trustee business. He received his B.A. in Economics from Waseda University and M.B.A. from John E. Anderson Graduate School of Management at UCLA.
- Kazuya KageyamaDirector
- Mr. Kageyama joined Topaz in July 2021.Prior to joining Topaz, he was a Managing Director of MUFG Bank where he was engaged in corporate credit analysis, business turnaround and debt restructuring for more than 20 years. He supported many large and medium-sized companies in various sectors to seek turnaround solutions and to make business restructuring plan including debt restructuring. Mr. Kageyama is a member of CMA and holds a Masters’ Degree in Economics and a Bachelor’s in Economics from Kyoto University.
- Shingo MatsuzakiDirector
- Mr. Matsuzaki joined Topaz in November 2021. Prior to joining Topaz, he was a Deputy General Manager of Mizuho Bank where he was responsible for business with PE fund clients. During the 7 and a half years in Mizuho, he arranged many kinds of LBO financing and engaged in the related business with them as well as monitoring outstanding loans. Before joining Mizuho, he worked for Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation where he engaged in LBO financing in addition to shipping project financing. He started his career at Long Term Credit Bank of Japan being in charge of business with corporate customers. He holds MBA from Robert H. Smith School of Business at University of Maryland and BA in Economics from Hitotsubashi University.
- Takaki OhkoshiDirector
- Mr. Ohkoshi joined Topaz in May 2020. Prior to joining Topaz, he was an investment analyst at a Hong Kong based hedge fund. Mr. Ohkoshi started his career at Development Bank of Japan where he was engaged in corporate lending, M&A advisory and principal equity investments. He moved to Strategic Investment Group (Distressed Products Group) of Deutsche Bank Group in 2016 where he was involved in credit investment as a lead analyst responsible for pricing and asset management of corporate-led credits. Mr. Ohkoshi holds a B.A. in Economics from The University of Tokyo.
- Masahiro NotoyaDirector
- Mr. Notoya joined Topaz in October 2020. Prior to joining Topaz, he was senior analyst at Deloitte Tohmatsu Financial Advisory ("DTFA") and engaged in M&A advisory services. Prior to DTFA, he worked at Mizuho Bank. Mr. Notoya holds B.A. in Commerce from Waseda University.
- Yuki KamiyaDirector
- Mr. Kamiya joined Topaz in July 2021. Prior to joining Topaz, he was with FWD Fuji Life Insurance Co., Ltd., where he was responsible for internal auditing. Prior to joining FWD, he was a project manager of cost-reduction service at Prored Partners. Before that, he was with Deloitte Tohmatsu Financial Advisory and mainly engaged in Financial Due-Diligence service. He started his career at PricewaterhouseCoopers Aarata LLC where he engaged in external audit for Asset Management industry companies and their funds. Mr. Kamiya is a member of JICPA and holds a CPA license (US/WA).
- Yusuke AdachiAssociate
- Mr. Adachi joined Topaz in September 2021. Prior to joining Topaz, he was an associate at Investment Banking Division of Mizuho Securities and engaged in Structured Finance and other Finance services such as PFI, Infrastructure fund, and WBS.Mr. Adachi holds B.A. in Law from Osaka University.
- Joon Young KimAssociate
- Mr. Kim joined Topaz in February 2023. Prior to joining Topaz, he was in Barings Japan as Japanese mutual fund sales, where he covered a lot of regional distributors and institutional investors. Before Barings, he had experienced Hedge Fund products and data specialist for pension investors in Mizuho Global Alternative Investments. He started his career at an european asset management firm. Mr. Kim holds a Masters’ Degree in Economics and a Bachelor’s in Economics from Hitotsubashi University.
- Shun KanekoAssociate
- Mr. Kaneko joined Topaz in April 2023. Prior to joining Topaz, he was an associate at GCA (now Houlihan Lokey) and engaged in M&A advisory services. He has depth experiences of deal execution in a wide range of industries. Mr. Kaneko holds a B.A. in Economics from Tohoku University.
- Masami NakadaFund Administration
- Ms. Nakada joined Topaz Capital in September 2019. Before joining Topaz, Ms. Nakada was with the Citigroup Inc. for more than twenty years engaging in areas of credit card receivable management, retail banking inspection, and accounting. Ms. Nakada started her career at Mitsui Bank (now Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation) and holds a B.A. in Law from Meiji University.
- Yuko KanaiFund Administration
- Ms. Kanai joined Topaz in February 2021. Prior to joining Topaz, she was a fund administrator at Unison Capital from 2016. Ms. Kanai started her career at Apple Japan and was engaged in sales data management at Sales Planning Department and in account receivable collection at Finance Department. She moved to Corporate Planning Department at Chiyoda Group, a plant engineering company where she was involved in corporate accounting.
- Mitsuru TanizawaInvestment Committee Member
- Mr. Tanizawa joined Topaz as a part-time Director in 2013. Mr. Tanizawa was involved in various capital raising and securitization transactions for financial institutions at Nishimura & Asahi as an attorney. After being seconded to the Financial Services Agency and Morgan Stanley Tokyo, Mr. Tanizawa established Tanizawa Law Office and now serves as an Investment Committee member at Topaz. Mr. Tanizawa holds a B.A. in Law from The University of Tokyo and an LL.M from Columbia Law School. Attorney at Law.
- Kunihiko HaraLegal Counsel
- Mr. Hara joined Topaz as a Legal Counsel in Aug. of 2021. He has established his law office named "Financial Integrity 360" in 2021. Prior to joining Topaz, he joined Securities and Exchange Surveillance Commission(SESC) of FSA in 2019 as a two-year fixed term civil servant. Prior to joining SESC, he changed his jobs to In-house lawyer of DIAM Asset Management (currently, Asset Management One) in 2012, and before that, he joined White & Case LLP Tokyo Office in 2008. He started his career at The Industrial Bank of Japan (currently, Mizuho Bank）in 1986 where he engaged mainly in derivatives business, corporate finance, and secretariat work of response to authorities related to Forex Banking Business (Passed the bar examination during his tenure as a banker). Attorney at Law.
- Masayuki KawaharaInternal Auditor
- Mr. Kawahara joined Topaz as a part-time Director in 2013 and is the head of Internal Audit. Prior to joining Topaz, he was with Goldman Sachs Japan Co., Ltd., where he was in charge of corporate procedures as corporate secretary and was involved in various corporate reorganization projects. After Goldman Sachs, he established INTRIM Co., Ltd., a legal operational service providing company. Mr. Masayuki Kawahara holds a B.A. in Law from Doshisha University and an LL.M. from Washington University.
- So SaitoAuditor
- Mr. Saito joined Nishimura & Asahi in 1997 and became Partner in 2008. He has extensive background in areas of securitization, fund structuring, compliance issues for financial institutions, Basel regulations and Fin Tech transactions. Mr. Saito established So Law Office in 2015 and became Auditor for Topaz. Mr. Saito holds a B.A. in Law from The University of Tokyo and an LL.M from New York University School of Law School. Attorney at Law (both admitted in Japan and New York).